Thursday, November 4, 2010

He Is My Rest; He Is My Peace

When the worship ministers at my church select a Sunday's worth of songs, they generally have some sort of thematic structure in mind. This past Sunday was October 31. As our church, thoroughly Protestant but not specifically Reformed, does not tend to recognize Reformation Sunday, the observance of Halloween was on the mind of the man who was leading worship that day. The stated theme (and the title of one of the songs) was "Highest Hope" and in his email to the week's singers, the worship leader indicated that the ideas of "no fear in love" and "our hope is in Him alone" guided the planning of the service.

The service began with this video. Did you catch that last verse? It leaped off the screen at me.

Isaiah 41:13: For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.

Oh, what a beautiful image! Surely any parent has a memory of taking her little one's hand as he walks down the hall to his first classroom, or gets on that scary escalator for the first time, or faces the prospect of hiking up a steep, slippery hill. And just as we led them, encouraged them and helped them, He will help me.

If asked, I would not have indicated that I am a particularly fearful person. While I certainly couldn't honestly describe myself as bold, I also don't think of myself as a worrier. My self-concept is that I can roll with the punches. But the lead-in video begins by focusing on relationship-oriented fears. That's hitting a girl where it hurts!

There's been an ongoing circumstance in my life that has been hanging over my head for a full year. I still don't know how the situation will be resolved. I do know that in addition to the discomfort of an unknown, unresolved major life circumstance, fears of loneliness and rejection certainly come into play. I’ve been there, and given the choice, I really don’t want to go there again.

As we sang through the lyrics of some pretty moving songs, what I came to understand is that while my emotions and thinking about this situation may not have felt like fear, they certainly didn't feel, look, sound, or act like trust. I was also reminded over and over that my perspective is so very, very limited and so very, very short-term. Surely I am thinking like a little child, thinking like my son was thinking when he was three and wailed, "I just want what I want!" How easy it is to forget that peace does not come from having things go the way I would have chosen for them to go. And how many words we sang brought home the points I needed to hear.

Perfect submission, perfect delight!

Perfect submission, all is at rest.

Here I raise mine Ebenezer; hither by Thy help I’m come, and I hope by Thy good pleasure safely to arrive at home.

Blessed Jesus, come to me; soothe my soul with rays of peace. As I look to You alone, fill me with Your love.

Breathe, o breathe Thy loving spirit into every troubled breast.”

“You’re all I want; You’re all I’ve ever needed. Help me know You are near!

And how’s this for food for thought for someone who, she must admit, has been fretting about tomorrow:

I give Thee back the life I owe, that in Thine ocean depths its flow may richer, fuller be.

But in the end, even though there was more to be said and more to be sung, a very simple song of just two phrases captured what my heart needs to meditate on and truly learn:

Be still and know that I am God. I am the Lord that strengthens thee.

When I remember that, and when I am living in the truth that my sin was nailed to the cross and I bear it no more, when I am controlled by the blessed assurance that Christ has regarded my helpless estate and has become my help, then it is well with my soul. Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment