Saturday, February 19, 2011

Superlative

I tend to be pretty attached to the hymn lyrics I grew up with.  And why wouldn't I be? They are, of course, the right ones.  So when there's a change, I tend to need some persuasion.  If I'm involved in worship leading, then I will certainly always sing what is required of me, but if I'm with the congregation, I'm usually stubborn enough to sing my own textus receptus rather than what is on the screen when there is a variance.

But we've got one coming up that I am ready to concede. I grew up with "Savior, like a shepherd lead us. Much we need Thy tender care."  And a quick survey suggests that this does seem to be the dominant reading.  However, the hymnal used as the primary hymn reference at our church renders it "…much we need Thy tend'rest care."

The first couple of times I noticed the variance, I didn't pay any special attention.  But then that change hit me hard right in the heart.  I realized that I have recently received His tenderest care.  In the wake of a personal crisis, my husband, who is always a nice guy, cared for me in an unprecedented way.  I received acts of kindness from dear sisters, and many words of care and kindness from the few people who knew about my need.

I feel like I have been buoyed up by that tenderest care, and once again, through tears, I remember that it is His kindness that leads us to repentance and I see the ways I fail to offer tender care, and try to bring about repentance through wrath or shame rather than through kindness. Lord, have mercy, and guide me in the paths of righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment