Wednesday, December 1, 2010

How We Need to Hear From God

I participate in a church praise team, and when I am scheduled to sing, I generally spend quite a bit of time with the music for that Sunday (though apparently not always to great avail). This frequently has the effect of sets of lyrics going through my head for what feels like days at a time.  This time around, the songs with whose words I seem to be spending the most time are "The Glorious Impossible," which I referred to in yesterday's post, and "Welcome to Our World".

Chris Rice has done some moving, thought-provoking songwriting, and "Welcome to Our World" certainly qualifies. Should anyone happen to drop by this blog and be unacquainted with this song, here for your perusal are the lyrics:

Tears are falling, hearts are breaking

How we need to hear from God

You've been promised, we've been waiting
Welcome Holy Child,

Welcome Holy Child.

Hope that you don't mind our manger

How I wish we would have known
Long-awaited Holy Stranger
,
Make Yourself at home
,
Please make Yourself at home
.

Bring Your peace into our violence

Bid our hungry souls be filled

Word now breaking Heaven's silence
Welcome to our world,

Welcome to our world.

Fragile finger sent to heal us

Tender brow prepared for thorn

Tiny heart whose blood will save us

Unto us is born,
Unto us is born
.

So wrap our injured flesh around You

Breathe our air and walk our sod

Rob our sin and make us holy
Perfect Son of God,
Perfect Son of God,
Welcome to our world.

I suppose that to me, despite the nativity elements, the plaintiveness of this song fits in more with the quietness and expectation of Advent than with the joy of Christmas. I think perhaps Advent is about neediness.  What could heighten our anticipation of His coming more than an increased awareness of how much we need Him?

How we need to hear from God!  How I've needed to hear from God, and yet how surprised I am as I begin to see what must surely be an answer to the prayers that have been prayed. And how much more I need to hear from Him as I follow the call to raise children in the admonition of the Lord. 

Word now breaking Heaven's silence!  Thank you, Lord, that you did not leave us without the Comforter.  Thank you that as we wait for your second coming, we do not have to wait in silence.

There is so much to think about in this song, but I suppose the most thought-provoking line for me is "Rob our sin." Each time I come to it when singing, I do a bit of a mental double take.  This is a time when I wish there was someone reading what I write here.  I think I understand this line, but I have never thought of it that way before.  I wish I had readers to discuss with me how they understand this line, and perhaps give me some scripture, as none appropriate to this line has come to mind so far. But indeed, make us holy, perfect Son of God!


No comments:

Post a Comment